- 09:45 - 10:00
- Introduction, Welcome and Objectives
- 10:00 - 11:00
- Background - The legal requirements - what exactly does the law require? What should be tested, and how often? Who is responsible for the testing, and who will be blamed if there is an accident?
- 11:00 - 11:15
- 11:15 - 12:30
- Electrical Appliances - What types of equipment do we have to test? Class 1 and Class 2 appliances. How to carry out a simple examination. Checking plugs, cables and fuses
- 12:30 - 1:30
- Lunch Break
- 13:30 - 2:45
- User Checks, Inspection and Testing Demonstration and hands-on practical work - testing a variety of different appliances. Important notes of safety. Avoiding damage to equipment under test
- 2:45 - 3:00
- 3:00 - 4:00
- User Checks, Inspection and Testing More practicals and demonstrations, including testing ICT equipment
- 4:00 - 4:30
- Conclusion and Final Discussion
Tim James is widely regarded as one of the UK's leading experts in the field of PAT Testing. He started PAT Testing in 1986 whilst working as a technician in a large secondary school, before being appointed to the post of County Technician for Humberside LEA. He was responsible for developing systems for the maintenance of electrical systems throughout the local authoritiy, as well as dealing with a variety of other technical and scientific issues on a local and national basis. For seven years he worked for a Health and Safety company teaching electrical safety courses and has also been Technical Director of a large PAT Testing company, overseeing the testing in excess of 300,000 items every year.
Since forming PAT Testing Expert in 2009, Tim has delivered high quality PAT Testing training for many universities and colleges, the BBC, many big industrial companies and hundreds of individuals throughout the UK and Europe. He is also Standards Director of the PATTA (Portable Appliance Testing Trade Association) - a professional association of PAT Testers dedicated to raising standards and improving the reputation of the industry.
In 2019, Tim was invited by the IET to serve on the committee updating the 'Code of Practice for In-Service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment', and has re-written some of the content, especially with regard to test procedures and pass levels; the new 5th edition CoP is expected to be published towards the end of 2020.
This training seminar is based on more than 30 years experience of electrical safety in a variety of different industries and is presented in a lively, yet down to earth and easy to understand format.
Click here for the PAT Testing Course Outline and latest Dates
Click here for the PAT Testing Course Programme in detail
Our PAT-Testing-course has been designed to teach you everything you need to know, to carry out PAT Testing in your own workplace, or to offer a PAT Testing service to your customers. Please phone us on 01482 827744 or click on the course dates page, for details of your nearest local PAT Testing Course.